IT-Enabled Business Transformation
CIOs and CTOs have to bridge the gap between IT and business goals. Yet today, business alignment is not enough. What enterprises need is IT-enabled business transformation, as technology is pervasive in virtually every aspect of business. IT Infrastructure functions as the central nervous system for a business transformation effort and plays a vital role in its success.
The need for business transformation may be caused by external changes in the market such as:
- Outdated products or services
- Changing funding or income streams
- New regulations coming into force
- Intensified market competition
Business Transformation Methodology
- Assess current capabilities and shortcomings.
- Set clear objectives and describe the vision for a better future.
- Gain consensus amongst stakeholders that change is necessary.
- Identify the underlying mentalities that must change for the transformation to succeed.
- Understand what the organization is changing from and what needs to be done to bring the vision to life.
- Design the new way of working throughout the organization.
- Test and implement changes.
- Embed the change within the culture, eliminating temptation to revert back to old ways.
The most effective business transformation efforts involve four key actions critical to shifting mentality and behavior:
- Role modeling
- Foster understanding and conviction
- Reinforce changes through formal mechanisms
- Develop staff talent and skills